Cookies are small text files placed on your computer by websites or sometimes by emails. They provide useful information to companies, which helps in all sorts of ways. For you, it means you can use the site more efficiently and save time by not having to re-enter your details each time you visit. They also make sure you receive the most relevant information from. For us, cookies help us to analyse how our customers interact with our sites so we can make improvements.
We use three types of cookies on our website
- Session cookies that are deleted after each visit.
- Persistent cookies that remain in place across multiple visits to our sites.
- Third party cookies that are used by our approved business partners.
Some of these cookies are essential and some are non-essential.
Certain cookies are necessary in order for you to use our websites. These are used ‘in-session’ each time you visit and then expire when you leave the site. They’re not stored on your computer and they don’t contain any personal data. However, you can delete them via your browser if you wish to, but this will restrict the functions that you’re able to carry out on our sites. For more information about how to disable cookies in your browser please visit the About cookies website.
Here’s a list of essential cookies and how we use them:
- Session cookies - These enable you to carry out some essential functions on our sites, such as maintaining log in details for the session or a transaction. They also help by minimising the need to transfer information across the internet. They are not stored on your computer and they expire when you terminate your browser session.
- Tracking cookies - These enable us to recognise repeat visitors to the site. By matching an anonymous, randomly generated identifier, we’re able to record specific browsing information such as how you arrive at the site, the pages you view, options you select, and the path you take through the site. By monitoring this information we’re able to make improvements to our sites and by combining it with other information we hold about you we can serve personalised content to you on your return. We use Omniture’s software to analyse page use, page interactions and the routes our customers take through our sites. These are known as ‘web metrics’. We don’t record any personal information you provide during an on-site purchase or any other process.
Some cookies are non-essential
These cookies are usually supplied by our business partners and help us to filter out irrelevant messages or pop-ups and to make sure that we only send you information that’s interesting and relevant to you. We also use some non-essential cookies for analytical purposes.
Here’s a list of non-essential cookies and how they’re used:
- Google Analytics - We regularly use Google Analytics. This is a web analytics service provided by Google enabling us to recognise repeat visitors to the site. By matching an anonymous, randomly generated identifier, we’re able to record specific browsing information such as how you arrive at the site, the pages you view, options you select, and the path you take through the site. By monitoring this information we’re able to make improvements to our sites. Google also reserve the rights to the data collected.
You can accept or block cookies
By using our website, you agree that we can place both essential and non-essential cookies on your device.
These cookies make it quicker and easier for you to access sites on subsequent visits that use Flash technology. Deleting them means you may have to re-enter information each time you visit the same site. But just like any cookie, you can delete Flash cookies by going to the Settings Manager for your Adobe Flash Player. You will be taken to the Adobe website, which lists the websites with the cookies in your browser. Just click Delete opposite the relevant website.
Cookies within mobile applications
We only use essential cookies within our mobile applications. You cannot opt-out or delete these cookies as they are critical to the functionality of the application. These cookies are not shared with any other application on your mobile device. We never use these cookies to store personal information about you.
Find out more
You’ll find more information about cookies at www.allaboutcookies.org, which gives details on how to delete cookies from your computer. For information on how to do this on your mobile phone browser, please see your handset manual.